The SACSC is a NPC with individual and corporate membership. It is aimed at setting standards and promoting the development of the industry by creating communications opportunities, providing information and education, encouraging ethical and professional behaviour and to safeguard the interests of its members.
Who should join?
The SACSC is an open and transparent organisation that is open to:
- Retail property investors
- Property financing institutions
- Managers/management companies
- Property professionals
The SACSC encourages networking amongst local members, international visitors and decision-makers in the industry, through local chapters in the six major regions of South Africa.
A number of research initiatives are being planned with the intention of creating a body of knowledge useful to its members.
An annual congress is held with the venue spread amongst South Africa’s major centres. It is the highlight of the year’s activities and is an affordable but high quality gathering where all the stakeholders interact and learn from each other.
In conjunction with the University of Pretoria the SACSC conducts four high-powered educational programmes.
- The Certificate in Shopping Centre Management (CSCM)
- The Advanced Certificate in Shopping Centre Management (ACSCL), and
- The Certificate in the Fundamentals of Marketing of Shopping Centres (CFMSC)
- The Certificate in Strategic Marketing of Shopping Centres (CSMSC)
For more information, click here
Seminars & Events
Regular topical and relevant personal development seminars and workshops are held annually in the major centres of South Africa. These meetings are ideal for networking purposes. Information is also available on relevant international conferences, congresses and workshop/seminars.
Three publications are available from the SACSC.
- Shopping South Africa. Members receive a free copy of the magazine which is printed at monthly intervals.
- Shopping Centre Directory. This is a listing of South African shopping centres and is updated at bi-annually. It contains useful information and contact details.
- TGIF. This is a fortnightly emailed newsletter to members. It is a brief easy-to-read digest of matters relevant to the shopping centre industry.
For more information, click here
International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC). SACSC membership allows members to join the ICSC at a special rate (an 80% discount). Access to the ICSC website allows members to browse through an extensive publications list and research documents as well as a networking opportunity with 32 000 members in 62 countries. The SACSC has affiliations with many international shopping centre councils. These are useful contacts for sharing information and for planning international tours. The SACSC is a member of the South African Chamber of Business W&RSETA. The SACSC is affiliated to the Wholesale and Retail Seta in terms of skills development.
From time to time the SACSC organises international shopping centre tours for its members. Members meet local managements of shopping centres on these tours as well as members of the local shopping centre council. Members are advised timeously.
By creating a single platform for the shopping centre industry, we, as members, can make our voice heard. We explore communication opportunities with tertiary institutions thereby making people aware of the career opportunities offered in this dynamic industry. We aim to raise standards by encouraging open communication between our industry and related ones.
Key focus areas
The SACSC has established a programme of action covering the following broad areas of development.
- The development of national and local specialised forums
- Retailer training and development
- Creating partnerships with retailers
- Improving communications with members and specific interest groups
- To boost Chapter activities and support through forums
- To grow and develop representation through forums
- To promote shopping centre development within rural and urban areas
- To expand the retail performance indices
- To promote shopping centre retailing as a career of choice
The South African Council of Shopping Centres’ (SACSC) Retail Design and Development Awards 2019 is now open for entries and the SACSC has called on shopping centre developers, owners and retailers to enter.Read More…
With experiential retail being one of the hottest trends in the retail and shopping centre industry right now, the South African Council of Shopping Centres (SACSC) commissioned a research report to get insight...Read More…
Shopping centre owners, mall marketing departments and agencies take note: The South African Council of Shopping Centres’ (SACSC) has opened entries for its prestigious 2019 SACSC Footprint Marketing Awards.Read More…